AFS in FreeBSD 5.4 or 6

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed Mar 1 13:20:50 PST 2006

At 6:27 PM +0000 2/28/06, Craig Ryhorchuk wrote:
>Hello,
>
>  I am looking for specific instructions on installing,
>maintaining and using AFS with FreeBSD 5.4 or 6.  I want to set
>up one or more servers and make them available to clients running
>whatever O/S.  I think Arla has the client side covered if
>necessary, but all I can find for server-side is a downloadable
>instruction-free bundle for 6.0 on the OpenAFS site.  There are
>specific instructions for other supported O/Ss but none for FreeBSD.
>I have Googled and searched; not exhaustively I hope.  There has
>to be something out there.

I think there are some people who run openafs servers on FreeBSD,
but probably just people who already know enough about running
OpenAFS servers that it is "obvious" (to them) what you would
need to do.

The problem is that the openafs client-side for FreeBSD never
gets quite to the point of working.  So, the number of openafs
users on freebsd never reaches critical mass to get some of the
less exciting work done -- such as OS-specific documentation...

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu