Recommended Web Mail software

Robin Vley viper at fx-services.com
Wed Mar 1 12:39:34 PST 2006

wc_fbsd at xxiii.com wrote:

Wayne,

> Was wondering what you recommend.  We have a small 5 person user base on
> a [fairly] screamin' new Dell box, so performance isn't an issue.  Just
> easy to use, reliable, basic, low maintenance web mail.  I'm leaning
> toward  SquirrelMail, as I set it up on a test server a couple years ago
> and was pleased.  Any other suggestions?

Squirrelmail works really well, and has as a plus that it has a fairly
low-bandwidth interface. We're running Horde, Neomail and Squirrelmail
for our customers and I got used to Horde myself. It's a bit heavier and
comes with tons of stuff that has nothing to do with the basic webmail
requirement, but it's working pretty well. Not much updates. I remember
Squirrelmail had some security updates now and then, but this is more
than a year ago I'm talking.

I would definately go for Squirrelmail if you want simple, stable and
easy to use Webmail. If you want something more advanced and nicer
looking, go for Horde.

---
Robin Vley
F/X Services Managed Hosting