Frustration

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 21:25:28 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Fernando Pinguelo <pinguelo at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am writing to you because I need to vent. I have tried installing version
> 5.3 of FreeBSD on a Pentium III machine. I thought I succeeded in doing it
> so, but when I tried to build xOrg I realized that I did not have all the
> ports installed and that some other dependencies were also missing. I
> realized then that the installation had not been as successful as I first
> thought.

When you did the install, did you do a "standard" install, or did you
try to do a custom install? The warning that says a custom install is
for experts is for real.

[...]
> Good luck to those heroic individuals who stick with the configuration fight
> to the end. I failed to see the 'Power to Serve'.

I moved to FreeBSD because in my experience it has been much easier to
install than Windows. I installed WIndows XP and FreeBSD 6.1 on a
laptop last week and the FreeBSD install was much easier. It actually
had working drivers for the laptop (unlike Windows). Perhaps if you
had posted some of your problems to the list you could have been
helped.  Oh, well.

- Bob