Frustration

backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 13:40:30 UTC 2006

--- Joao Barros <joao.barros at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/30/06, Fernando Pinguelo <pinguelo at comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > I am writing to you because I need to vent. I have
> tried installing version 5.3 of FreeBSD on a Pentium
> III machine. I thought I succeeded in doing it so,
> but when I tried to build xOrg I realized that I did
> not have all the ports installed and that some other
> dependencies were also missing. I realized then that
> the installation had not been as successful as I
> first thought.
> > So, I tried to re-install the ports from the CD,
> since I didn't have an Internet connection to that
> machine. Well, I kept getting more and more
> hardware/software errors. I then tried to upgrade
> FreeBSD to version 6.1. And that was what I did; I
> tried.
> >
> > Well, I kept getting more errors, as usual. The
> more I tried to install/reinstall/upgrade/fix
> FreeBSD, the more I was realizing that anything that
> had to do with FreeBSD that could go wrond would go
> wrong, be it the software installation or hardware
> behavior. The amount of work and headache that I
> have been experiencing to move a single 'inch'
> towards a working Unix environment has been
> enourmously frustating. The worst part of it all is
> that I have not accomplished anything tangible at
> all.
> >
> > I think now it is time for this boy to abandon the
> 'Unix' bandwagon for good and move back to MS
> Windows. At least I will be able to concentrate on
> doing real productive work, instead of dealing with
> temperamental hardware and software every time I
> touch the PC.
> >
> > Good luck to those heroic individuals who stick
> with the configuration fight to the end. I failed to
> see the 'Power to Serve'.
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't know your level of proficiency with unix but
> from your email I
> think you're taking the initial steps.
> You tried to build a Lego without all the pieces and
> with no
> instructions. You should start with an already built
> machine and start
> your way down from there. With this in mind I
> recomend you to install
> for example PC-BSD(1). It's FreeBSD all the way, but
> for what you
> want, a desktop solution, a custom built FreeBSD.
>
> --
> Joao Barros

That or try desktop-bsd so it's still a "pure" BSD
system. I've experienced all the problems with Windows
that you could imagine, my favorite is not being able
to swap hard drives into a new machine and get the
thing to boot, especially with a "Plug N Play" OS.

I've had a million problems with BSD, and with Linux,
Dos, and OS/2. anytime you learn something new things
can be messed up. I bet your problem is you kept
changing your mind with sysinstall, it got confused
and never let your choose your distribution, and now
its all messed up. That usually messed up my
installations in the begining.

Windows is cool, but I can't remotely login to windows
over a SSH session on my Treo and run update my system
while I'm on the road for work. *BSD is the future,
because Microsoft won't be able to release their
garbage too much longer and be taken seriously.
Especially now that they have gotten into the
anti-spyware market. Why pay for a license to an OS
that I need to pay for another license from the same
company to make the OS "secure"

I think RTFM is in order, I know it sounds cold but
I've taken the time to read countless man pages to
figure out my problems. Remember BSD isn't setup for
you out of the box, that would violate the spirit of
Unix; but its got thousands of help files built in to
the system. You can't say that about windows, their
help is useless

average joe BSD user venting back