Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

User Freebsd freebsd at hub.org
Wed Jun 28 22:26:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> On 6/28/06, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad at shire.net> wrote:
>>
> [deleted]
>>
>> ---
>> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
>> Your Web App and Email hosting provider
>> chad at shire.net
>
> Do you offer Xen hosting Chad?.. and back on topic... What's the point
> of iLO Marc? What's wrong with having your server text message your
> cell phone and then you ssh in and check what's wrong / fix it? If
> it's a hardware problem you'll have to show up anyways, right?

iLO allows me to power cycle my server, re-install the operating system,
access the BIOS, access the console, etc ... all operating system
independent (or with no operating system installed at all) ... the only
'hands on' I need is, as you put it, to replace hardware that might go
wrong, but, for instance, with 'just a serial console', like the non-HP
servers, I have to get a remote tech to power cycle whenever the deadlocks
I'm experiencing right now happen ... with iLO, I login to the iLO CLI,
and tell the server to reboot itself ...

----