Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 10:18:28 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, Francisco Reyes <lists at stringsutils.com> wrote:
> Atom Powers writes:
>
> > Yes. All the servers I'm installing this year will have SATA drives
> > (and 3ware RAID controllers). The Western Digital Raptor drives are
> > every bit as good as the SCSI drives I used to get.
>
> Perhaps as the ones you used to get, but not as good as you can get.
>
> Dont get me wrong.. I can get approval to go SCSI since our
> machines need at least 1T+ (the storage machines)

Why? 1TB and up is a SATA niche. You can buy 3 SATA arrays for the
price of 1 SCSI array.... Also... gigabit Ethernet is only 125MB/s
(Max) and and a single SATA drive can easily transfer at 50MB/s*. Your
limiting factor is probably going to be your bus with arrays/GigE so
SCSI is pointless unless you can take advantage of SCSI's TCQ with
high random access I/O loads, If you shift your work loads around you
can probably get around this. SATA is so cheap and good enough that we
will do whatever it takes to make it work... SCSI is already dead in
the entry level server market.

*I just tested this with two Maxtor SATA drives the other day:
dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/dev/disk2 bs=4m. It dropped off to about 30MB/s
at the end but my average read/write was just over 50MB/s.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/