SSHD errors: will not forward X11 connections

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Tue Jun 27 22:22:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006, Andrew wrote:
>Yes, I see that. But it is "complete"; I passed the '-o' flag to truss
>to write _all_ output to a file. Just to be sure, I ran it again, and
>diff'ed the output files; they are the same. To be clear, I do get a
>shell prompt when I login via SSH.
>
>I'm thinking that trying to this out is going to turn into a large waste
>of time...

I haven't been following this thread, but from the Subject I would guess
that there's may be problems with the client machine's ssh_config file, the
target machines sshd_config file, or the command being executed.

To enable X11 forwarding on the client side on recent versions of openssh,
either the ``ssh -Y'' command or the ssh_config options ``ForwardX11'' and
``ForwardX11Trusted'' must be set to ``yes''.

On the server side, the sshd_config file must have ``X11Forwarding'' set to
``yes'' to allow any client X11 forwarding.

On older versions of openssh, the ``-X'' option was sufficient, but now
``-Y'' is necessary (although ``-X'' might work if ``X11Forwarding'' is
``yes'' in the ssh_config file).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The Constitution is a written instrument.  As such, its meaning
does not alter.  That which it meant when it was adopted, it
means now.
-- SOUTH CAROLINA v. US, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)