iwi-firmware

Derrick Ryalls ryallsd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 22:43:49 UTC 2006

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Prior to updating to 6.1, my Intel 2200 BG worked fairly well using
> >> iwi-firmware and wpa_supplicant.  Now, the firmware fails to load so I
> >> cannot connect.  I did some searching and some people recommend
> >> installing iwi-firmware-kmod.  When I try to do so, it is marked as
> >> ignored and is uninstallable.  Another suggestion is to use code in
> >> /usr/src/sys/dev/iwi but I don't see a make file and I haven't a clue
> >> on what to do with that code anyway.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what I need to do to get this nic working again?
> >>
> >> #uname -a
> >> 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #1: Wed Jun  7 03:18:16 PDT 2006
> >
> > Can you be more precise about what goes wrong?
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/index.html
> >
> > I also suspect that you would have better luck installing the ports if
> > you updated your ports tree.  But that's just a guess.
>
> Are you using iwi-firmware from ports? there seems to be a perfectly
> working driver,
>
>   # kldload if_iwi
>
> That's what people suggest you to compile from sys/dev/iwi, but it's
> also a loadable as kernel module. If it is not installed in
> /boot/kernel, then it will also be built with the normal kernel build
> proceedure.

Sorry for the lack of details.  Sleep deprivation and hardware
troubleshooting shouldn't be mixed.

Previously, I was using the iwi-firmware port rather successfully,
based on this webpage

http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/iwi-freebsd.html

At the moment, I do have the device listed under ifconfig iwi0 but I
cannot associate with my AP.  When I go to do a "iwicontrol -i iwi0 -d
/boot/firmware/if_iwi -m bss" I currently get an error message in the
/var/log/messages (sorry, can't access the machine to get the message)
but I think it was something about the device timing out.  Checking
the help files for the error messages states the the error message
should not happen.

When I did the searching, several posts mentioned that iwi-firmware
didn't work for them on 6.1 when it had on previous versions.  Later I
can update my ports to see if iwi-firmware-kmod now has the ignore
setting removed, but according to
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/net/iwi-firmware-kmod/ the
port hasn't been touched in about 2 months (unless I am reading
something wrong).

To sorta summarize, these are example steps that I used to take to get
on wireless:

iwicontrol -i iwi0 -d /boot/firmware/if_iwi -m bss
ifconfig iwi0 up
wpa_supplicant (args)
dhclient iwi0

But now, the first step fails.  The device is still present under
ifconfig though.

My world/kernel is only a couple weeks old, perhaps I cvsup'ed at
exactly the wrong time (during some commit)?