Monitoring Server Health

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Mon Jun 26 16:30:19 UTC 2006

I use bigsister, which is in the ports.  Bigsister trys to use snmp and to
be non-invasive.  However, any monitoring comes with some overhead.

On the good side bigsister is cross-platform and can be used on Windows
servers as well as FreeBSD (and other 'NIXs too.)    Bigsister can be
configured on a server by server basis for what you want to monitor, to
limit any overheard you can.  You can also configure bigsister to store the
data in a database such as mysql for more detailed analysis.

Hope this helps,

         -Derek

At 01:02 AM 6/25/2006, Jerlique Bahn wrote:
>Hello,
>
>What are sys-admin's using to monitor the status and health of their freebsd
>servers?
>
>Specifically what I mean is the collection of data from the server such as
>CPU Utilization, memory utilization, various networking resources (eg active
>connections), disk health etc.
>
>I do not mean programs such as nagios which would manage/act on this data.
>
>Your thoughts appreciated.
>
>JB

>--
>believed to be clean.