Hot-Swapping hard drives on Dell PowerEdge 2850 running FBSD 5.5-PRE

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 12:54:21 UTC 2006

On 6/26/06, Scott Mitchell <scott+lists.freebsd at fishballoon.org> wrote:
> Yeah, megarc does have possibly the worst interface I've seen in quite a
> long time.  Allegedly the Linux monitoring tools for these adapters will
> work with 6.1, although I haven't tried this myself yet.

Yes, I think it was Doug Ambrisko who put in the shims for that, but
haven't tested it.
And yes, megarc should be on wikipedia as a bad example for bad interfaces.

> I've attached a couple of scripts I use for monitoring amr(4) adapters.
> One (amr-check-status) is run hourly from crontab to alert of any change
> in drive or array status.  The other (700.amr-status) is a daily periodic
> script.

amrstat from ports also include a daily crontab script which I'm hapilly using.
For the hourly job, there is a function in the amr(4) driver that's
supposed to do a constant check of the controller but alas the
function is just declared, empty in function. If this was to work, a
message to syslog would be enough to send out an email with an alert
for example.
I started this weekend(again) my port of bio from OpenBSD and I really
like what they did with the sysctl variables and with sensorsd like:
$ sysctl hw.sensors
           hw.sensors.0=sd0, ami0 0, drive online, OK
           hw.sensors.1=sd1, ami0 1, degraded, WARN
           hw.sensors.2=sd2, ami0 2, failed, CRITICAL

With sensorsd on top of that, monitoring is a breeze.
I think after bio I know what I will do next ;-)

--
Joao Barros