CUPS, USB printers & "Permission Denied"

Anthony Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 23:59:09 UTC 2006

Hello and thank you for the very quick reply.

On Jun 25, 2006, at 7:34 PM, albi wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:28:35 -0400
> "Anthony Agelastos" <iqgrande at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I updated CUPS and I cannot print to my USB laser printer. The web
>> interface shows the following:
>>
>> hp_LaserJet_1160Le (Default Printer) "Unable to open USB device
>> "usb:/dev/ulpt0": Permission denied"
>> Location: Den
>> Make and Model: HP LaserJet 1160 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
>> Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs, published.
>> Device URI: usb:/dev/ulpt0
>
> are the permissions on /dev/ulpt0 correct ?
I have no idea what it is supposed to be.
%ls -l /dev/ulpt0
crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0,  68 Jun 25 19:01 /dev/ulpt0

> if the printer runs fine as root you know it's likely a
> permission-problem

What's the best way to run it as root? When I log into the CUPS web
interface as root and try to print a test page, it gives me the
message I posted above. If, as root, I try to print a Postscript file
via lp, it does nothing.

Thank you all again for your assistance.