Opinions Wanted: Dell PowerEdge Servers ... ?

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Jun 25 04:34:56 UTC 2006

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Nick Withers wrote:

> I tend to think of Dell as a low-end provider that will cobble together
> systems based on whatever bits happen to be lying around (don't think
> that one PE 2650 is the same as the next!), which in turn are invariably
> the cheapest bits available for a particular job.

'k, this is exactly the thing that I'd heard about the Desktops ... and
was curious about concerning their server offering ... you mention further
up in your response that this was 'a little while back' ... how long ago,
and can anyone here comment on whether or not this is still the case with
Dell?

Pricing things out through the web sites, Dell is definitely the 'cheaper
brand', at least in comparison to HP ... so will I end up "getting what I
paid for" with the cheaper Dell, and regretting it, or ... ? :(

----