Any generic (non-wm-specific) audio players?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sat Jun 24 00:57:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 05:12:31PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 11:46:52AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:

	[[ ... ]]

> Hmmm... I've never really tried FAAD2 stuff with FreeBSD though... I
> sort of limit my FreeBSD use to daemons and such and use my Linux box
> for all my desktop playing around :).

	This is what I've finaaly decided is the most rational use
	of my time and resources.   Can't beat FBSD for sheer stability,
	but it's not the opyimal "Desktop".  xmms for my mp3's.  Or
	cplay.  Ubuntu for ease-of-use.

> faad2 by itself only decodes the file into PCM I believe... it doesn't
> output to any specific sound devices (ie /dev/dsp, etc).
>
> Sad thing too is that I think that the faad2 project was abandoned last
> year, maybe... (at least it seems that way since there hasn't been any
> active development on the project since either April or June of last
> year IIRC, based on their last CVS snapshot >_>...).

	So... that explains paart of  it.  I didn't check the
	CVS logs....

> >	I know virtually Zero about this other than the theory;
> >	unfortunately, here theory is useless.  I poked around at
> >	web sites and FAQ's:: nothing gave me any *practical*]
> >	advise.  xmms is beyond Neat, but exactly how does xmms-faad2
> >	PLUGIN???  I grep's the /work/* xmms code for pluggin, nothing.
> >	<&c ** 2>  [[ Interesting tidbit about Apple, BTW.]
> >
> Here; this is what I meant when I said what I said earlier ;):
>
> #faad2 source:
> shiina:~/Documents/faad_revision gcooper$ ls -l faad2/plugins/xmms/src/
> total 56
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 gcooper  gcooper    423 Jun 20 22:12 Makefile.am
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 gcooper  gcooper   2714 Jun 20 22:12 aac_utils.c
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 gcooper  gcooper  13332 Jun 20 22:12 libmp4.c
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 gcooper  gcooper   2567 Jun 20 22:12 mp4_utils.c
> drwxrwxrwx   4 gcooper  gcooper    136 Jun 20 22:12 old
> shiina:~/Documents/faad_revision gcooper$
>
> #xmms source:
> shiina:~/Documents/faad_revision gcooper$ ls -l xmms-1.2.10/Input/
> total 72
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 gcooper  gcooper  15259 Jun 20 22:14 Makefile
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 gcooper  gcooper     82 Jun 20 22:14 Makefile.am
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 gcooper  gcooper  15508 Jun 20 22:14 Makefile.in
> drwxrwxrwx   27 gcooper  gcooper    918 Jun 20 22:14 cdaudio
> drwxrwxrwx   11 gcooper  gcooper    374 Jun 20 22:14 mikmod
> drwxrwxrwx   91 gcooper  gcooper   3094 Jun 20 22:14 mpg123
> drwxrwxrwx   11 gcooper  gcooper    374 Jun 20 22:14 tonegen
> drwxrwxrwx   15 gcooper  gcooper    510 Jun 20 22:14 vorbis
> drwxrwxrwx   12 gcooper  gcooper    408 Jun 20 22:14 wav
> shiina:~/Documents/faad_revision gcooper$
>
> So what I think happens is that it downloads the faad2 source, untars
> it, then compiles with preexisting headers for xmms on the system, and
> installs the compiled version of the plugin on the system (wherever the
> plugins go.. not sure again since I use Linux for this stuff by default).
>
> As for the Apple work, it is interesting because I've been playing
> around with iTunes a bit and it appears that I *could* reverse engineer
> a lot of the fields (there's no way I'm paying Apple for licensing fees
> :P), and then either code some stuff or set someone else up with the
> information for them to code. I need another file made by a proprietary
> encoder just to make things more constant and ensure that Apple isn't
> just doing their own thing as opposed to following some sort of set
> standard.

	Well, if you ever feeling like r-engineering, the Linux folks
	seem like a good bet.

	... .

	gary

--