Any generic (non-wm-specific) audio players?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 23 18:46:56 UTC 2006

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:18:35PM -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:

>>> I'm not sure about xmms and streams, never having tried it. So I've just
>>> been playing with this, and it seems to work like Nikolas' description
>>> of cplay: download the playlist manually, then you can load it from
>>> within xmms. I'm listening to radioparadise.com as I type this (thanks
>>> for the link, Nikolas!)
>>>

>> Your welcome, here's more:
>>
>> http://www.somafm.com/ (multiple genres)
>> http://www.bassdrive.com/ (Drum & Bass / Junge)  /* Tops, IMO, gk */
>> http://www.friskyradio.com/ (EDM etc.)
>> http://www.di.fm/ (multiple genres, mostly electronic)
>> http://www.xtcradio.com/ (DJ Mix Sets)
>> http://www.staticbeats.com/ (IDM)
>> http://www.m1live.com/ (Club/Dance)
>>
>> Also, Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music (Flash Player Required):
>> http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html
>>
>> Does anyone know of streams that sound like XRT or Q101?... two radio
>> stations in Chicago
>>

> 	*This* is exactly what  I was going to ask about next:
> 	if we could all post streaming sites.  Oe of my favorites is
> 	http://www.sky/fm/[many substream URL's].
>
> 	Thanks for thhe Guide, Nikolas!
>
> 	Another thing I've been wondering about is xmms-faad2
> 	which is mp4 or a High Effiency decoder of "aac"(?)
> 	streams that only require 24kpbs to yeild fairly high
> 	fidelity sound.  Does anybody know anything about how
> 	xmms-faad2 works with good ol' xmms??  (I'm completely
> 	new to most of this--streaming sites.  But then just got
> 	new speakers w/bass boombox!)  So any tips will be very
> 	welcome.
>
> 	gary
    The faad2 item should just be a plugin for xmms. It's kind of
convoluted how they compile stuff with the faad2 lib, but basically-in
Linux at least-it downloads the complete faad2 source, compiles it
first, then compiles the plugin from a different branch from the main
source in the source tree.
    I was doing a bit of reading too (trying to see if I can just change
the source a bit to get ID3/iTunes tags to be read in xmms), and it
turns out that iTunes uses MP4 format with AAC encoding, as opposed to
AAC which uses MP2 encoding as a base.
    Doesn't really matter all that much I suppose, but I was just
looking through the source trying to figure stuff out and the original
author's nomenclature is just a bit confusing.
-Garrett