AMD64 Desktop Support

Michael Collette Metrol at Metrol.net
Tue Jun 20 05:34:55 UTC 2006

Bit of a dilemma here with my primary desktop machine suddenly up and
dieing on me.  I'm now in the market to slap together a new PC

I've started with looking at picking up an AMD64 based system.  After
Googling around for a while I still have some concerns I haven't been
able to address.  Probably just not looking the right places.

Mostly I'm worried about some of the proprietary stuff like Flash,
Acrobat, nVidia Drivers, Java, and the like not working.

Is anyone out there actively using the AMD64 processor as a desktop
machine?  Are any of these 32-bit apps going to prove to be a show
stopper for me?

The alternative appears to be the P4 with all the motherboards I've seen
using audio devices that aren't supported.  Still, I'd rather buy an old
sound card and have all the software at least functional.  Any advice
out there?

Thanks,
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is."