deployment considerations between STABLE and RELENG

Mikhail Goriachev mikhailg at webanoide.org
Mon Jun 19 13:19:52 UTC 2006

Jonathan Horne wrote:
> its been a while since i have come to the point where i can cvsup and
> buildworld my systems without making any mistakes.  but, at this point, so
> far, i only buildworld up to STABLE.  i do have one dev system that
> yesterday, i finally did a buildworld to RELENG.
>
> as i understand it, STABLE contains all security/bug fixes, as well as all
> enhancements to other applications as they have been developed.  and that
> RELENG contains only security and bugfixes.  have i gathered my information
> correctly?

Yes you have. You might want to read the following article:

http://www.dwlabs.ca/freebsd/docs/version-guide/article.html

> im interested in polling the users of this list (who frequently buildworld on
> their systems), what situations (deployments) STABLE is for, and the same for
> RELENG.

Personally, for me, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I only follow
errata branches. If you can't afford any down time then don't do it. If
you are willing to play around and go off-line for the weekend then go
for it. Everything depends on how mission critical your servers are. I
still have a few 5.3 boxes cranking around. They've served me well,
hence I don't see any necessity upgrading them, yet.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg at webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B