freebsd on a newer pc

Jonathan Horne jhorne at dfwlp.com
Sun Jun 18 13:47:21 UTC 2006

On Friday 16 June 2006 23:25, Micah wrote:
> Jonathan Horne wrote:

> >> My experience has been that once you boot that way once it becomes
> >> the default.  Play around with it
> >>
> >> Chad
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
> >> Your Web App and Email hosting provider
> >> chad at shire.net
> >
> > i dont think thats the behavior im getting.  when i hit 2 to boot:
> >
> > athena# kldstat
> > Id Refs Address    Size     Name
> >  1    3 0xc0400000 6ab778   kernel
> >  2    1 0xc0aac000 59960    acpi.ko
> > athena# uname -a
> > FreeBSD athena.int.dfwlp.com 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #0: Fri Jun 16
> > 20:48:52 CDT 2006
> > root at athena.int.dfwlp.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ATHENA  i386
> >
> > and when i dont:
> > athena# kldstat
> > Id Refs Address    Size     Name
> >  1    1 0xc0400000 6ab778   kernel
> >
> > when i want to boot the acpi support, i hit 2.  is that the proper way,
> > or is there some other way that resets this mode as default?
> >
> > thanks,
> > jonathan
>
> Last I read FreeBSD defaults ACPI off for systems that have "broken"
> ACPI, and defaults on for systems that have "working" ACPI. If you're
> sure your ACPI works without any problems add acpi_load="YES" to your
> loader.conf. (that might not be the "correct" solution, but it should
> work).
>
> HTH,
> Micah

well, its finally working!!

i could have swore this was the first thing i tried, as loader.conf was the
first area i researched, but when i added acpi_load="YES" to loader.conf, my
system now boots with acpi enabled (and i can now properly poweroff with
shutdown -p now).

i must have typed or something, because that was the first thing i mentally
marked as "ok, that didnt work".  im so excited to have my system functioning
correcetly now, as my old system was a 1.8GHz athlong, and this is a 3.2GHz
p4.  xorg/KDE compile time is down from 36 hours to less than 24!!

cheers,
jonathan