file creation date in freebsd

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Sat Jun 17 23:20:06 UTC 2006

Imran Imtiaz <imran at darkstar.thelakecity.com.pk> wrote:

> However we can find the modification date of a file but is it possible that
> we can also get creation date of the file?

There is nothing in the filesystem that stores this info.

However, the ctime is often used for this purpose.  The ctime stores the
last time the file metadata was changed (such as permissions and ownership).
Since it's uncommon for people to change the file metadata, the ctime
can be a good indicator of when the file was created, but it's no
guarantee.

--
Bill Moran

I am a leaf on the wind.  Watch how I soar.

        Wash