AC97 sound driver

DSA - JCR juancr at dsa.es
Sat Jun 17 18:08:17 UTC 2006

Hi all at this marvellous list of this marvellous OS !!  ;D

I am installing a new FreeBSD box and all is ok less the sound car.
This is an MSI 945P Neo Platinum mainboarda with the sound chipset in it:

I have installed FreeBSD 6.1 "amd64" (is EM64T chip)

In BIOS say:

- Azalia/AC97 sound

in Manual:

- High definition link controller in INtel ICH7R chip
- 7.1+2 channel audio codec Realtek ALC882
- complaint with Azalia 1.0 spec.
- Supports DTS effect.

Well, I only want that the computer has sound for CD, DVD, movies, etc.
better things are wellcome of course but it is not the purpose of this
computer.

I have do the following:

get the generic sund driver
# kldload snd_driver

and
# cat /dev/sndstat

but no sound !!!, also the cat command says that there is no sound devices
installed.

Is there a device driver for this, or someone I can get to put sound at
work at a minimum?

thanks in advance

Juan Coruña
Desarrollo de Software Atlantico