ripping "enhanced" audio CDs

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Thu Jun 15 22:23:55 UTC 2006

Today at 2:55pm, Mikhail Goriachev said:

>> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD HARDWARE ERROR
>> asc=0x08 ascq=0x01 error=0
>> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD ILLEGAL REQUEST
>> asc=0x64 ascq=0x00 error=0
>> Jun 14 11:27:22 mybox last message repeated 11 times

> This is an anti-piracy feature included on some discs. Nowadays there
> are more and more protected discs around. Some of them even crash
> computers when loading. How silly is that? Programs like CloneCD can
> handle such things on Windows boxes. That is what I use after having
> long frustrated sessions with open-source tools.

I am pretty sure this isn't an anti-piracy feature. It happens to me with
_any_ "enhanced CD" (audio+data mixed CD), and _only_ on enhanced CDs.
Never has it happened to me on any non-enhanced audio CD. My problem is
not with the inability to get the data off, that doesn't seem to be a
real issue. The problem is with the crashing of the computer.

Why should _any_ data read from a removable disk of any kind be causing
FreeBSD to crash by the mere act of attempting to read it from the disk?
The device is reporting a failure, but why isn't the OS handling that
failure gracefully?

If I'm asking the wrong list, and should be asking hackers at freebsd.org or
some list related to multimedia, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mac