clarification of cvsup process.

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Thu Jun 15 20:02:54 UTC 2006

> On 6/15/2006 2:42 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

[snip]

>  >> Contents of cvsupfile:
>  >>
>  >> *default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
>  >> *default base=/var/db
>  >> *default prefix=/usr
>  >> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_0
>  >> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>  >>
>  >> src-all
>  >> *default tag=.
>  >
>  > Note that you set the tag=RELENG_6_0 ... which is what you want, then you
>  > reset it tag=. -- which will give you 6-STABLE -- not what you want.
>  >
>  > Remove the *default tag=. line.
>
> Out of curiosity, can you revert back to RELENG_6_0 from 6_STABLE?
> Obviously I already ran this process...

I have successfully done this with other versions of FreeBSD, whether or
not it works is dependent on exactly what version you're trying to back
out of, and I can't say for sure about 6-STABLE to 6.0.

>  > What does uname -a tell you after the upgrade?
>
> mail# uname -a
> FreeBSD mail.domain.com 6.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p6 #1: Tue
> Mar 28 13:46:24 CST 2006
> ggroth at ns1.domain.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Are you sure you completed the process successfully?  If you'd had
tag=., this would reports something like 6-STABLE.  If you'd had
6_0_RELENG, it would report 6.0-RELEASE-p9.

It looks as if the make install* steps weren't completed.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.