ripping "enhanced" audio CDs

Mikhail Goriachev mikhailg at webanoide.org
Thu Jun 15 04:56:13 UTC 2006

Mac Newbold wrote:

> This has finally caused me enough grief that I'm going to ask about it
> and see if there's something I'm doing wrong or some nice solution to
> this really annyoing problem.
>
> I'm on a 5-STABLE box, currently 5.5-PRERELEASE. I use cdparanoia and
> lame (via abcde) to rip my CDs to MP3. (This has happened to me with
> other rippers, like cdda2wav, IIRC, also.) Whenever I try to rip an
> "enhanced" CD that has one or more data tracks along with the audio
> tracks, it crashes the computer when it gets near the enhanced tracks.
> It has happened on a wide variety of CDs, all enhanced, and over a long
> period of time. It is very repeatable. Even if I ask the ripper to rip
> only the track prior to the enhanced track, it still crashes when it
> gets about 90-95% through the track. Even if I try to break out at that
> point, it still crashes the box.
>
> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD HARDWARE ERROR
> asc=0x08 ascq=0x01 error=0
> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD ILLEGAL REQUEST
> asc=0x64 ascq=0x00 error=0
> Jun 14 11:27:22 mybox last message repeated 11 times
>
> I know has happened to me on both CD-ROM/RW drives and on my atapicam
> DVD+/-RW drive. I seem to remember it happening on 4-STABLE boxes too,
> with widely different hardware (different mobo makers, chipsets, etc.)
>
> Does anyone know what causes this or what the fix is? Has anyone else
> had this problem and found a suitable workaround?
>
> Right now the only workaround I've found is to start ripping the track,
> and let it crash the computer, then encode the track when it boots back
> up. Not a very happy workaround, as I have to fsck every time. :(
>
> Any help or suggestions you can offer are greatly appreciated!

Hi,

This is an anti-piracy feature included on some discs. Nowadays there
are more and more protected discs around. Some of them even crash
computers when loading. How silly is that? Programs like CloneCD can
handle such things on Windows boxes. That is what I use after having
long frustrated sessions with open-source tools.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg at webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B