Midi and Linux compatibility

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Fri Jun 9 04:10:37 UTC 2006

Sean wrote:
> jekillen wrote:
>> Hello;
>> I'm interested in setting up midi and sound recording gear on a Linux
>> system. There is a program I'm interested in
>> getting installed and using called Rosegarden. I also have to contend
>> with the availability of Linux compatible
>> midi interfaces (which is a blurred subject as far as my research into
>> availability is concerned) My question to
>> the FreeBSD mailing list is: if I use FreeBSD with its Linux
>> compatibility, how do I deal with drivers (for midi inter
>> faces, for instance) and installation. Is there an area of ports for
>> Linux software, specifically Rosegarden or
>> something that will do audio recording, midi sequencing, audio/midi
>> sync, and has a good score editor that
>> will print sheet music?
>>

> You can check here http://www.freebsd.org/ports/
> on ports you are looking, Your Rosegarden is listed.
>
>             Sean

Note that the Rosegarden project refers to the 2.1 series that's in our
ports as "antique." The latest Rosegarden requires ALSA to work.

To the OP, MIDI support on FreeBSD is non-existent aside from some
kernel patches that turn up every now and then. If you need hardware
MIDI support you need to use Linux, Windows, or OSX.

HTH,
Micah