Kernel module path

John Nielsen john at jnielsen.net
Wed Jun 7 18:20:47 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 08:41, Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:28:09AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having trouble loading kernel modules. Put simply "make
> > installkernel" seems install native kernel modules into /boot/kernel/,
> > but kldload seems to want to load them from /boot/modules.
> >
> > Obviously I can load modules by hand and/or copy the modules into
> > /boot/modules, but surely there's a better way - either by modifying the
> > installkernel behaviour or kldload.
>
> kldconfig(8) might be of help here.

There is a sysctl that controls this.  By default on my 6-STABLE it is:

%sysctl kern.module_path
kern.module_path: /boot/kernel;/boot/modules;/usr/local/modules

So the FreeBSD 5.x and newer default of putting kernel modules in /boot/kernel
is covered.  Check the output of the above command on your system and
check /etc/sysctl.conf for any overrides.

JN