QEMU - encrypted images

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Wed Jun 7 03:06:35 UTC 2006

Norberto Meijome wrote:
> Hello there,
> this is a bit off topic (well, i'm running qemu under 6.1 and installing 6.1 in
> the img... :) .not sure if I should email the port maintainer about this.
>
> I created an image as follows:
> qemu-img create -e -f qcow a.img 2GB
>
> then i start qemu :
> qemu -boot d -m 400  -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda a.img
>
> It goes straight into qemu's console, i enter a HD password as requested (*
> chars replace everything i type). I press enter and the vm boots up as normal,
> i can go to Ctrl-1 and Ctrl-2 with no problem.
>
> BUT  the qemu console (ctrl-2) is completely useless. everything I type still
> comes out as * , and there doesnt seem to be any actual response to what I type
> (if I type help, and press enter. I would have expected at least a whole
> screenfull of ******** coming up...not even that.. it seems like it's stuck in
> password reading mode?

This is just a "Me Too".

I don't use encrypted disks... just thought I'd try it out.  Followed
your instructions above, and I get the exact same results.  I have no
idea if it is the correct behavior or not.

I have however, once or twice, appealed to the port maintainer and found
him to be responsive and helpful.

> am I missing something ?
>
> thanks,
> Beto