how to avoid recompiling applications?

Jonathan Horne jhorne at dfwlp.com
Sun Jun 4 10:06:29 PDT 2006

On Sunday 04 June 2006 11:46, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Jonathan Horne <jhorne at dfwlp.com> writes:
> > i have a system that i tend to tear up quite often.  sometimes
> > accidently, sometimes not.  recompiling kde is quite a long process (and
> > when i try to do it from packages, something is always messed up).
> >
> > so, i was under the impression that if you *did not* make install clean
> > (thus, only using 'make clean') and save your work directories, then when
> > it came time to reinstall something, you would not have to go thru the
> > compile process, and skip straight to the installation?
> >
> > example is, last night i compiled xorg from ports, but then tried to
> > (against my better judgement) pull down kde from packages.  utter
> > catastrophe, after removing the non-working kde-package, kde3 port would
> > not even compile after that.  anyway, long story short, i backed up
> > my /usr/ports, /usr/src, /usr/obj, and reinstalled.  using my restored
> > backup files, reapplying my old kernel and installworld went just without
> > issue, i skipped the buildworld and buildkernel just fine, no hitches.
> > but when i went to reinstall the xorg from last night (all the work
> > directories were still there), 'make install' returned no output, and
> > nothing happened.  what gives?
>
> "make reinstall".  See "man ports".
>
> > i ended up having to do a make clean on my ports dir before i could
> > continue. in the future for me, is there a way to proeperly retain all
> > the precompiled stuff, and just skip right to the installation portion of
> > my previously compiled ports?
>
> I would tend to build your own packages, and keep them around.  Then
> you can reinstlal them easily.

ah, thank you for your reply... i finally exhale while waiting in anticpation!

so, could i theoretically use 'make reinstall' on a fresh system where the
port had never been previously installed?  im trying to build my system using
the minimal install, and then recover my previous /boot /usr/src /usr/obj
(then make installworld etc), then turn to my recovered /usr/ports and just
begin installing previously compiled applications.

thanks,
jonathan