Does FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE support the 8237R?

Scott Hiemstra shiemstra at h2.com
Fri Jun 2 08:11:34 PDT 2006

> I run FreeBSD 4.11 stable, and I need to replace my ASUS K8V Deluxe
> motherboard. I am thinking about de K8V-X SE. However,
> instead of the 8237
> chipset, it has the 8237R. Is that supported in FreeBSD 4.11 stable as
> well? Also, instead of the Gigabyte LAN, it has a Realtek
> 8201CL D version
> LAN. Will that work, too? I can, for the life of me, no
> longer find a link
> on the new FreeBSD site (like
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.11-STABLE/hardware-i386.html
> #DISK, for
> instance). If anyone could tell me where the page is at, or knows the
> answer, I'd really appreciate it.

I have the same board in a server running 4.11 (FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0) and
no problems to report.  The nic is detected as "RealTek 8129/8139" but seems
to function just fine.  I would recommend building a temporary system, doing
an install and then once you verify all is well...  Swap the board into your
existing machine.

In regards to the hardware page, you can find it here:
ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/4.11-REL
EASE/HARDWARE.HTM

Scott