Hardware

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Jun 2 03:08:56 PDT 2006

"horn" <horn at horn.net.ru> wrote:

> Whether it will be installed FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE and whether after
> will work on a computer:
> Proc: Pentium 75 MHz
> Menory: 16 MB RAM
> HDD: 1.2 Gb ?

I tried to install FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE on a Pentium 90
with 16 MB RAM a few weeks ago. The BIOS wasn't able to
boot from CD and while I could boot from floppy disks,
FreeBSD would reboot after loading the third one.

I assume the kernel and the installer were to heavy
for the amount of memory.

To solve the problem I put the hard drive in a more
powerful system, installed FreeBSD, compiled a small
kernel without any modules and put it back.

Of course the system isn't fast, but it works.

mount_nfs would panic the system, but there's a
workaround (and some more information about my system)
in: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/94830

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/