help installing FreeBSD

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sun Jul 30 03:37:19 UTC 2006

adrian esquivel wrote:
> Sorry for the last message...
> Thanks everyone that has helped me. Ok, so I checked the ISO image and it
> was perfectly fine. So I checked the ribbon cable and it actually is a
> 40-conductor IDE cable. So this means that I need to change it for an
> UDMA
> (80 conductor)?? Oh, and when I change it, do I need to configure
> something,
> maybe on the BIOS or something... just asking
No. CD drives are UDMA-33 compatible only, so 40-pin cables will
suffice. If you want something faster than UDMA-33 with your hard
drive(s) though (assuming you have EIDE hard drives), you should connect
it/them with an 80-pin cable.

Also, your BIOS should have the CD drive set to boot before the hard
drive(s).
-Garrett