ntpd on FreeBSD

Xiao-Yong Jin xj2106 at columbia.edu
Sat Jul 29 15:20:12 UTC 2006

Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> writes:

> Freminlins <freminlins at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> After a power outaga (Level 3 at Goswell Road, London), all our FreeBSD
>> machines came up OK.
>>
>> Nearly all of them had a problem though with ntpd. I'm guessing that most of
>> these machines booted before the the ntp servers came up. What happens is
>> that the machine runs two copies of ntpd:
>>
>> root       337  0.0  0.3  2964  1772  ??  Ss   Sun04PM
>> 0:24.75/usr/sbin/ntpd -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid
>> root       427  0.0  0.3  2964  1788  ??  S    Sun04PM
>> 0:00.76/usr/sbin/ntpd -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid
>>
>> ... and they never sync. The only way to fix this is to kill both ntpds,
>> then restart ntpd.
>>
>> Is there a tidy way round this? It's not much fun logging into 40+ machines
>> and killing a restarting a key process. I have no idea why two ntpds are
>> running in the first place. The machines that are correct have an identical
>> config.
>
> For what it's worth, I spent a while looking at it, and I can't see
> anything that would cause this.  Ending up with *no* ntpd running, I
> can imaging from various failures, but not two.  I suspect I would
> need another clue to look in the right place.

Once I tried ntpd on my laptop.  The problem is if it couldn't connect
to the server when it starts, it will never sync.  I found out that it
may be the problem within ntpd itself, so I stopped using that.

I can't see why you have two copies of ntpd running.  But if these
client machines booted before the ntp servers, it's never going to
sync.

--
Xiao-Yong