Gotta start somewhere ... how many of us are really out there?

User Freebsd freebsd at hub.org
Fri Jul 28 19:54:39 UTC 2006

Okay, here is the challenge ... for vendors to 'take notice' of the fact
that exist as a market, there really needs to be *some* numbers that ppl
like -core, -advocacy and -marketing can use ... right now, there is
nothing out there that can be considered either 'half the story', or just
purely guess work ...

This means that when someone here talks about "don't buy from company A
because they don't support us", its kind of a meaningless boycott, since,
as far as they are concerned, they aren't making any money off us,
therefore, aren't losing any ...

Although I'd eventually like to see something better that includes more
information (ie. version of FreeBSD being run, AMD vs Intel, etc), even
just getting #s on the size of the community that we are apart of would be
good ....

Also, for the data to *mean* anything, it has to be semi-realtime, in that
it can't just be sent in once, but a ping has to be sent in periodically
to show that that server *is*, in fact, actually still running FreeBSD ...

Towards that end, as a starter, I would like to encourage everyone out
there running 1 or more FreeBSD boxes to go to

           http://www.mreriksson.net/uptimes

register all of your hosts, and install /usr/ports/sysutils/uptimec and
get it running ...

Right now, there are 249 FreeBSD hosts listed ... I can't believe that
that is *all* of them out there ...

We don't care about the uptime side of things ... all we care about is
finding out how many FreeBSD hosts are actually being run ... how big are
we as a market ...

I'm currently trying to come up with something better, but, right now,
that seems to be the best that is out there ...

----