Mail system Suggestions

Mikhail Goriachev mikhailg at webanoide.org
Mon Jul 24 17:04:58 UTC 2006

Bill Moran wrote:

> I don't know enought about Dovecot in particular to say whether or not
> the speed is _purely_ the result of caching (and being written in C).
>
> But I can state a couple of reasons why the server-side cache helps.
> Keep in mind that IMAP is specifically designed as a clieng/server
> protocol.  I generally have the same mailbox open from three computers:
> my home, my work and my laptop.  When changes are made from one of these,
> the other two need to get synchronized.  Like most people, I try to
> keep my mails organized into folders that don't get too big, but I still
> end up with 1000s of mails in each folder.
>
> Dovecot keeping a cache/index on the server side allows Dovecot to quickly
> provide information when the clients want to sync up.  When a mail client
> is first started, it needs to do the equivalent of "send me a list of all
> the emails in this folder".  If Dovecot needs to scan each and every message,
> it can be pretty slow, but if it has an index maintained that it can more
> or less just ship as is, that's much faster.  How often these types of
> "overall sync" operations occur under normal usage, I don't know.
>
> While I'm not an expert, I believe that Courier maintains indexes as well.

Fair enough, thanks for your thoughts. I guess I'll give dovecot a spin
when the right time comes (apparently it's still in beta). Meanwhile
I'll stick with courier-imap.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg at webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B