Run existing FreeBSD installation inside jail

Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen daniel at copyleft.no
Fri Jul 21 13:58:04 UTC 2006

Mikhail Vladimirov wrote:

>> 3c: Upgrade the old system in place (mergemaster, installworld, etc.) to
>> the same version your new system is running.

> You mean to update 4.x to 6.x in place inside jail using sources?  But
> AFAIK it is not recommended to do source update from 4.x to 6.x.

Of course. But it will work better than running the 4.x based system
with a 6.x kernel. That's been my experience when I've been forced to do
similar things at least.

Anyway, please remember that the last steps in your procedure still apply:

4. Setup jail inside new system, which will run old system.
5. Now I have all services running, and I can transfer it to new
system one by one quietly.

So you should still move over your services to a fresh system before
you're done.

--
Daniel Mikkelsen
Copyleft Software AS