defining dependencies for ports

Owen G owen_pg at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 13:54:57 UTC 2006

> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:00:40 -0500
> From: mike <mh983 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: defining dependencies for ports
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> Hello.  I'm brand new to FreeBSD.  I'm mostly enjoying it so far.
> I'm
> playing with installing the Eclipse IDE port right now.  I say
> playing
> with because I started to install it and saw the list of dependencies
>
> and shuddered.  I like to keep my system relatively clean and tend to
>
> start a new install of Linux (and now BSD) as bare bones and add only
>
> what I need.
>
> So I'm building Eclipse, and one of the things it wants to include is
>
> python .  Seems odd for my java ide to need python, so I look it up
> on
> the web tool that shows all the dependencies for a port (which is a
> fantastic tool, by the way).  And python is included because glade is
>
> included, and glade seems to be a top-level dependency.  However,
> nowhere can I find in the Makefile any reference to Glade, nor to the
>
> many other "top-level" dependencies.  How do I find out these things
> and
> once I find them, how do I change them so I don't include?  (Mozilla
> is
> another example, but this one I actually see in the Makefile for the
> Eclipse port.  However, make config and make configure don't ask me
> if I
> want mozilla -- I use firefox).
>
> This applies generally.  I installed other ports too that had odd
> dependencies (like including perl because of some helper scripts that
>
> aren't even required to be run).  Is there a command I'm missing that
>
> let's me configure these things?
>
> On a side note, is the name "pretty-print-build-depends-list"
> designed
> to keep me from running the command?  ;-)  And after typing all that,
>
> the output wasn't really even pretty.
>
> thanks for any tips.  Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've been
> using
> FreeBSD only two days now.  Currently I run slackware.
>
> mike

Mike,

Have a look at this link and see how your ports don't have to be
difficult:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Look for other stuff Dru's written about as well - good stuff.

Install the port you want and all the dependancies will sort themselves
out:

e.g.

# cd /usr/ports//www/firefox/
# make install clean

Sorted!

You are aware that there exists
1. ports = source = must be compiled = "make install" (as above)
2. packages = executable packages = precompiled = "pkgadd -r . . ."

So unless you're running a custom kernel, there's no advantage of ports
over packages.

Good luck,

Owen