defining dependencies for ports

mike mh983 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 04:00:41 UTC 2006

Hello.  I'm brand new to FreeBSD.  I'm mostly enjoying it so far.  I'm
playing with installing the Eclipse IDE port right now.  I say playing
with because I started to install it and saw the list of dependencies
and shuddered.  I like to keep my system relatively clean and tend to
start a new install of Linux (and now BSD) as bare bones and add only
what I need.

So I'm building Eclipse, and one of the things it wants to include is
python .  Seems odd for my java ide to need python, so I look it up on
the web tool that shows all the dependencies for a port (which is a
fantastic tool, by the way).  And python is included because glade is
included, and glade seems to be a top-level dependency.  However,
nowhere can I find in the Makefile any reference to Glade, nor to the
many other "top-level" dependencies.  How do I find out these things and
once I find them, how do I change them so I don't include?  (Mozilla is
another example, but this one I actually see in the Makefile for the
Eclipse port.  However, make config and make configure don't ask me if I
want mozilla -- I use firefox).

This applies generally.  I installed other ports too that had odd
dependencies (like including perl because of some helper scripts that
aren't even required to be run).  Is there a command I'm missing that
let's me configure these things?

On a side note, is the name "pretty-print-build-depends-list" designed
to keep me from running the command?  ;-)  And after typing all that,
the output wasn't really even pretty.

thanks for any tips.  Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've been using
FreeBSD only two days now.  Currently I run slackware.

mike