home encrypted from install (freebsd 6.1)

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Fri Jul 14 16:35:30 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 00:45, Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     I'm about to do a 6.1 install on a new box. I'm separating /home in the
> filesystem so it's a system of it's own. During the install maybe after the
> install, but before the reboot i'd like to encrypt /home so that any data
> written to it after reboot will be encrypted. I was wondering if it was
> possible to do this during the install? If it is how would it effect
> programs like x? I'm going to have two users, one doing console logins, the
> other will have x whenever he logs in, i don't want the encryption to get
> in the way of this.
> Thanks.

Nothing is written to /home until after users are added which have their home
directories under /home (root uses /root), so you can simply avoid creating
users during install.

The encrypted partition needs to be mounted before the first user logs in. You
can either do this as part of the startup sequence (look at the geli and gbde
options in /etc/defaults/rc.conf) or login as root and do it.