Best way to create a large data space

stan stanb at panix.com
Fri Jul 14 00:24:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 04:20:56PM -0400, John Nielsen wrote:
> On Thursday 13 July 2006 08:34, stan wrote:
> >  i have a Sun Ultra 40 with 4 500F SATA drives. I plan on using this
> >  machine primarily for a large data storage requirement.
> >
> >  What I want is one large /data partition. Given all the choices for doing
> >  this in FreeBSD (software) what's the "best" choice here? The partio will
> >  be shared via SAMBA if that affects the thhinking here.
>
> "Best" really depends on what your needs and goals are. Here's a quick
> overview of what the choices ARE, based mostly on memory. Corrections and
> additions welcome. I'll try to make some notes about pros and cons as well.

Thanks for the nice summary.

The data will be backed up nightly, so I'll probably use gstirpe to get the maximum capicty.
RAID5 would not work very well with 3 x 500G (asuuming that I can't use the 500G that I put the
system on).

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
- New York Times 9/3/1967