Boot hangs at "/bin/sh?", can't see USB keyboard

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Thu Jul 13 07:30:26 UTC 2006

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 12/07/06 Erik Nørgaard said:
>
>> The keyboard usually works on the boot menu as the bios is in control.
>> So, exit the menu to load the kernel modules you need, usb, ukbd and
>> uhid I think should do. Then boot into single user mode.
>>
>> For next time, this happens, I suggest you build a kernel with usb
>> keyboard support built in. I think the GENERIC kernel now supports usb
>> keyboards by default, which explains why the boot option has been removed.
>
> I just booted and installed with the "boot with usb keyboard" option in 5.4,
> and it's worked ever since. I'm not sure why. I suppose that I should find out
> in case it breaks.

AFAIK the usb keyboard menu was a 5.x thing, since then usb keyboards
have become so common that usb keyboard support is included in the
GENERIC kernel. The OP refered to 6.1.

If you don't want to include support in the kernel, just make sure to
load the modules at boot, check loader.conf. If you installed the "with
usb keyboard" then this might have been set for you.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt