Migrating from mbox to maildir (was Re: IMAP server alternatives)

Ron Wilhoite ronw at bals.org
Tue Jul 11 19:23:25 UTC 2006

On 7/11/2006 12:20 PM, Javier Henderson wrote:
>> I saw a dramatic improvement in speed with both Thunderbird and
>> Squirrelmail after switching from mbox to maildir.
>
> How did you handle the transition from mbox to maildir?
>
> -jav

For my POP users, I didn't. I leave everyone's 'inbox' in /var/mail in
mbox format. If a user connects via IMAP (Squirrelmail, etc.), folders
in /home/%u are created and stored in maildir format, but their inbox
stays in /var/mail in mbox format.

See Multiple Mailbox Locations: http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces

Dovecot also comes with convert-tool. For the users who had mbox files
in their home directory, I used it to convert those to maildir format. I
don't think the port installs convert-tool; I got it by doing 'make' in
the dovecot port directory and manually copied it from there.

Ron