sil3112 question

Eugeny Kuzakov coredumped at coredumped.org.ru
Tue Jul 11 17:35:16 UTC 2006

On 7/11/06, Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> Er, no, unless I am much mistaken  it doesn't imply that at all (see man
> ataraid).  FreeBSD handles plenty of "software" (metadata only) RAIDs,
> though I believe that an archive search will turn up that the sil3112 is
> possibly the worst such RAID ever and was a poor choice of RAID card,
> however cheap.  Try google.   SiL are listed among the controllers
> supported by ataraid on 6.1 so I would expect the RAID to be recognised
> even if it performed badly.

Of course you are right in all the points!:( I know it now, at the moment of
buy I didn't know
what chip is used  in the Tekram TR-822.. I was very surprised when I see
chip name...

I don'e think that is the solution worst, but problem is different metadata
formats in different BIOSes...
Initially I asked who uses sil3112 and hasn't pronlems:)

Today I will try to update flash bios to some older version, but it's
designed for linux...
I hope FreeBSD driver recongnise it's metadata format...

I've not used such a RAID so perhaps some specific action with
> atacontrol is required.

I see at least two problems:
 1. If I create raid1 or raid0 using atacontrol create bla-bla-bla then I
see new device -- ar0.
After paririoning&labeling I try to newfs it... FreeBSD hungs in same moment
without any warnings...
 2. If I create raid1 or raid0 using bios utility of sil3112 then FreeBSD
driver doesn'y recognise this metadata.
It's just see disk drives and nothing more....:(

--
Best wishes, Coredumped.