IMAP server alternatives

Greg Groth ggroth at gregs-garage.com
Tue Jul 11 15:15:46 UTC 2006

On 7/11/2006 9:29 AM, albi wrote:
> Erik Norgaard wrote:
>
>> Regarding cyrus documentation: I think they have stopped maintaining the
>> documentation and moved to use the wiki - unfortunately, you don't
>> stumble into the wiki first :(
>
> i can happily recommend Dovecot, really easy to install (Cyrus really
> isn't), supports both Maildir and mbox, been using it for years without
> any problems (i used courier before that, but i like dovecot much better)
>
> see here :  http://www.dovecot.org and
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/

I would like to ask a couple more in depth questions pertaining to this
conversation.  We recently switched from POP3 & Outlook Express to IMAP
using IMAP-UW & Thunderbird.  Personally I have had no issues with
IMAP-UW, but the users in our office have had issues with the mbox
format itself.  Specifically they cannot store messages & subfolders
within a folder (referring to the Thunderbird definition of a folder).
In mbox, since a given folder is not a directory, but a file, you cannot
place a subfolder within that file.  Outlook Express' POP3
implementation did not have this behavior.  Right or wrong, my users
have requested that I attempt to restore this functionality in IMAP.  Am
I correct in assuming that if I switch to a mdir format server, it will
operate in the manner they are requesting?

My next question is in regards to scalability, not so much in the way of
users, but in the amount of mail they store.  Currently we have about 20
email accounts, and for the most part the users keep their email to a
reasonable amount.  However I do have 5 users that insist they save
everything, and do not clean out their InBoxes.  Currently they retain
email going back 5 years, and have mail folders in excess of a couple of
gigs apiece.  Since one of these people is the owner, I have little
chance of changing this policy.  However they are asking that I attempt
to increase the response time of the IMAP server, which can be somewhat
slow for them - especially through SquirrelMail.  Would the mdir format
help in this situation as well?

Last question, how difficult is it to back up the mdir format?
Currently I cron a tar job, nightly, to backup the mboxes to another
server to allow for tape backups (the tape unit on the server in
question doesn't want to play nice with FreeBSD), and have had no
difficulty in accomplishing this.  Can I accomplish the same style of
backups when moving to mdir?

I'm in the middle of setting up a server to try out various IMAP servers
to test which would provide the best response for our specific needs
(low number of users - high volume of saved email), and would appreciate
any opinions on the matter as it would probably save considerable time
picking the right software to begin with.

Best regards,
Greg Groth