IMAP server alternatives

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue Jul 11 14:23:07 UTC 2006

Reko Turja wrote:

> The downside of Cyrus is the abysmal documentation, but once you get
> hang of it, it's one fine IMAP/POP server. And of course there's project
> wiki at
>
> http://cyruswiki.andrew.cmu.edu/
>
> which definitely is updated after 2003 :)

I too can recommend cyrus-imap which I have used for more than two years
without problems. From what I have heard, the alternative seems to be
courier.

The wu-imap does not use maildir but rather mailbox, this means that
people have access to their standard unix mail box as always and add
imap/pop access.

Regarding cyrus documentation: I think they have stopped maintaining the
documentation and moved to use the wiki - unfortunately, you don't
stumble into the wiki first :(

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org