CPUTYPE for VIA EPIA EDEN in /etc/make.conf on FreeBSD 6.1

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jul 7 14:28:55 UTC 2006

Owen G wrote:
> I'm trying to get a little more speed out of my 600MHz mini-itx box as
> I convert it into a FReeBSD fileserver (with GUI) . . .
>
> I'm trying to find the right settings for /etc/make.conf and would
> appreciate your help.
>
> dmesg.boot shows the processor as being:
>
> CPU: VIA C3 Samuel 2 (601.37-MHz 686-class CPU)
>  Origin = "Centaurhauls" Id = 0x673 Stepping = 3
>  Features=0x803035<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,MMX>
[ ... ]

These VIA C3 processors are basically a low-power Pentium+MMX processor, and
I've used:

CPUTYPE=pentium
CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe

...OK under later 5.x and 6.x releases.  Using CPUTYPE=i686/pentium2 resulted
in the bootloader and the kernel containing instructions which the CPU
couldn't handle (ie, the system halted and panic'ed) when I tried.

I believe you could use CPUTYPE=pentiumpro or pentium-mmx OK, but there didn't
seem to be any performance difference, and I'm leery of chasing the compiler
optimizer too far when it doesn't change the system performance by a noticable
amount.

--
-Chuck