Passing Parameters from BSD to Linux and Back

Frank Jahnke jahnke at sonatabio.com
Thu Jul 6 14:39:43 UTC 2006

I use a few Linux programs on FreeBSD, and sometimes they invoke other
programs that use command line options. I have never been able to get
this parameter passing to work.

For example, PDF files read by Acroread can contain links to a web
browser or an email program; these are often invoked as "program-name
%s" in the set-up file. VMware does the same with invoking a browser
from defaults set in a config file.

I am able to get the appropriate program to open, but the parameters are
never passed. I have tried many, many schemes to quote or escape the
command and its options, but never have any of these worked.

Any suggestions on how I might do this would be most appreciated!

Frank