FreeBSD 6.0 compat with DL320 G4

Antony Mawer fbsd-questions at mawer.org
Mon Jul 3 00:23:13 UTC 2006

On 29/06/2006 9:27 PM, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:56:00AM +0100, William wrote:
>> Antony,
>>
>> I've got an Intel card in production already on a homebrew box, the
>> code is INTEL-PWLA8492MT and description is "Intel Dual Port Server
>> Adapter 10/100/1000". Any idea if that will do?
>
> That is a PRO/1000 MT card, which is a PCI-X adapter and is supported
> by the standard em(4) driver in FreeBSD 6.x,
>
> The PRO/1000 PT mentioned below is a PCI-Express adapter and is not
> supported by the standard driver in 6.x, but (as mentioned) should
> be supported by the driver available from Intel.

If you wish to utilise the PCI Express expansion slots by using a
Pro/1000 PT network adapter, the procedure to follow might be something
like be this:

1. Install 6.1-RELEASE from CD, being sure to install the kernel source
2. Obtain the latest Intel driver for FreeBSD 6.x (if it is still not
available on the website, email me and I will send it to you)
3. Burn the driver onto a CD or other media and copy it onto the server
4. Extract the driver source, and copy the if_em* files across into
/usr/src/sys/dev/em/
5. Build a new kernel (GENERIC will suffice) which will utilise the new
driver source (cd /usr/src && make buildkernel)
6. Install the kernel and reboot (make installkernel)

You should now have a working network with your Pro/1000 PT...

Regards
Antony