Regarding QuickCam webcams and FreeBSD

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Jan 31 22:52:01 PST 2006

The reason there's little interest in this is that webcams are
rapidly becoming completely self-contained.  Lots of them today
have an ethernet port, and integrated webserver in the camera.
The need for a PC to be involved here for anything other than
running a web browser to display output is pretty questionable.

When network address translation first came out the only way you
could get it was to used a modded open source UNIX on a PC with
2 nics.  Then Cisco came out with it so you could use their routers
to get it.  Then linksys came out with cheap routers that had
it.  Nowadays, only the diehards are running FreeBSD nat routers
with 2 nics in them.  The same thing is happening with webcams.

Ted