Can't see second CPU on IBM eServer x346 (FBSD5.4 and 6.0 amd64)

Anto Prijosoesilo antop64 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 20:15:32 PST 2006

--- Robert Slade <bsd at bathnetworks.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 07:59, Anto Prijosoesilo
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having a problem installing FreeBSD/amd64 SMP
> on a
> > couple of IBM x346 servers. Both have dual XEON
> 3.0GHz
> > EM64T processors but OS seems to only enable one
> of
> > them.
> >
> > ACPI has to be disabled on both machines for them
> > boot, otherwise they will hang after probing the
> > keyboard.
> >
> > I'm using the SMP kernel config unedited.
> >
> > Mptable on both machines show that there are 2
> CPUs:
> >
> > --
> > Processors:     APIC ID Version State
> Family
> >  Model   Step    Flags
> >                  0       0x14    BSP, usable
> 15
> >   4       1       0x0301
> >                  6       0x14    AP, usable
> 15
> >   4       1       0x0301
> > --
> >
> > Sysctl hw.ncpu returns 1 on both systems.
> >
> > The one on FreeBSD 5.4 has 6GB or memory and the
> one
> > on FreeBSD 6.0 has 3GB of memory. I can run tests
> on
> > the 3GB system and will probably try FreeBSD/i386
> on
> > it to see if it can see both CPUs.
> >
> > Has anyone successfully ran FreeBSD/amd64 SMP on
> these
> > machines?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.
> >
> > Anto.
>
> Silly question. Isn't the XEON Intel i386
> architecture which runs
> Freebsd i386 whereas the FreeBSD amd64 is for AMD 64
> bit devices.?

Unless I'm mistaken, both the Intel XEON EM64T and AMD
Athlon64/Opteron processors are capable of running in
32-bit (i386) or 64-bit (amd64/EM64T) modes. I need to
run these machines in 64-bit mode to be able to access
more than 4GB of memory.

As I understand it, i386 architecture only allows
access to up to 4GB of memory and to access more than
this it'll need to be compiled with the PAE option.

My impression from reading the lists in the past is
that accessing large amount of memory by running in
64-bit is more efficient compared to running in 32-bit
with PAE. Is this still the case?

> In which case you should use the Freebsd i386 SMP
> kernel.

I intend to test the 3GB machine with this to see if
there are any differences.

> Rob

Anto.