Proper FreeBSD installation practices

Alvaro J. Gurdián AJGurdian at lanoticia.com
Tue Jan 31 13:45:19 PST 2006

I just installed FreeBSD 6.0 on a computer I want to use to test BIND.
The newest release is 9.3.2, but the one installed with FreeBSD 6.0 is
9.3.1.  Since according to the ISC's website there are a few bugs in
9.3.1, I decided to upgrade.

I then looked over the ports and found versions going up to 9.3.1.  So
I downloaded the neccessary files from ISC's ftp.  But I started
wondering, where would the most appropriate place to install BIND be?

My current version is installed in /usr/sbin/named, but the default
install goes to /usr/local/sbin/named.

Should I let the install go to it's default location, rename
/usr/sbin/named to /usr/sbin/named9.3.1 and then symlink
/usr/local/sbin/named to /usr/sbin/named?
Or, should I tell the proper install flag to install named in
/usr/sbin, and overwrite the previous version?( after all, I am not
going to use it )

I am planning to put BIND in a sandbox anyway......I ask this mainly to
find out about common practices.

Thanks