Upgrading 5.3 to 6.0 question

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jan 31 12:35:22 PST 2006

On Jan 31, 2006, at 3:28 PM, Michael S wrote:
> I have a question related to upgrading my machine from 5.3 to 6.0.
> I am convinced I need to upgrade it, and the base system upgrade
> procedure is pretty much clear to me. However I am somewhat not clear
> about 3rd party software. Since all the programs are 5.X binaries, do
> I need to recompile/reinstall all of them? Or they can run fine under
> COMPAT_FREEBSD5?

So long as the FreeBSD 5 binary compatibility option is present, all
of your existing binaries will run just fine under FreeBSD 6.
However, anything which you can rebuild or reinstall should be
upgraded (perhaps via "portupgrade -af"?) as soon as convenient, to
avoid mixing two versions of the shared libraries together.

--
-Chuck