A strategic question (continued)

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Mon Jan 30 19:15:42 PST 2006

On Jan 30, 2006, at 6:41 PM, Jozef Baum wrote:

> Many thanks to everyone who answered my previous e-mail about this
> subject
> on this list or by private e-mail.
>
> As some of you suggested, I have installed PC-BSD (http://
> www.pcbsd.com/). I
> am sure a Unix guru would not like to install FreeBSD in this way,
> as it
> doesn't offer many choices. But it is just wonderful for a Unix
> newbie like
> me. At the end of the installation, the GUI, the cable Internet
> connection,
> and even the sound system worked fine. Some configuration still
> needs to be
> done (printing and German keyboard). But now at least I have a
> system I can
> use right away to do some usefull work with, and to further explore.
>
> I will try to configure the printing myself before perhaps
> eventually asking
> some specific questions about it here.
>
> I found an interesting explanation about the configuration of the
> German
> keyboard, so if some other German speaking newbie asks about it:
>
> http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~eserte/FreeBSD/doc/umlaute/umlaute.html
>
> Giorgos Keramidas asked me:
>
>> Can you explain *how* you configured your X11 desktop?
>
> Like explained in the handbook. First I created an xorg.conf.new
> configuration skeleton file with
>
> # Xorg -configure
>
> Then I tested this configuration with
>
> # Xorg -config xorg.conf.new
>
> The result was a "Mode not supported" message on the display screen
> until I
> found out the HorizSync and VertRefresh values to write in the Section
> "Monitor" which were supported, and which were much narrower than the
> hardware manufacturers specifications.
>
> The display adapter is an nVidia GeForce4 MX with integrated GPU
> (which uses
> 64 MB of the system's 512 MB physical working memory). The LCD
> monitor is a
> Proview 780.

	You may have actually been limited by your video card in this
respect. Given that it is a GeForce4, the options for resolution and
scanlines and stuff may have been lower. I know that when I went from
a GF4 to a GF6 my system's available resolution increased quite a
bit. Too bad though that my monitor doesn't though... :(.
	Take care and hopefully this time around things will be better for you.
-Garrett